Sunday 23 November 2014

Assignment 1 Tutor feedback

Feedback arrived last week, a lot to think about and certainly the comments provided by the tutor will serve as a great push to take the documentary approach more seriously. Unfortunately I feel I must agree with the negative comments. Perhaps my slapdash approach was a result of slightly misunderstanding the topic? I feel like I was unable to produce the honest account of my involvement (or the lack of it) with the local community and therefore I ended up generalising the whole experience. I hope that I may be able to re-select the photographs with this new understanding brought on by the comments, but should this not be a possible I will reshoot this project at a later date concentrating this time on day-to-day activities of Animal Welfare Society.

Just to clarify a couple things:
1. My initial description of the sale stating that people fight for second hand bargains during the Jumble was only meant to describe my previous experience with the sale, this particular Saturday involved my deeper involvement with the event and therefore I wanted to capture this very different, more inside experience.
2. I have a habit of including the logo and my signature on the blog, as the photographs can be simply downloaded off the blog page. I would have obviously submitted the photographs to the tutor without such protection and I shall do that with all future assignments.
3. As per Robert’s comments, I was originally considering to picture the journey of the cake all throughout the day. It seems that perhaps I do have the right ideas, but dismiss them at the last minute.
4. There were no animals present at the Jumble Sale. Animal Welfare Society is an organization concentrating on domestic animals and involves mainly the services of the vet and the kennels, it is run from the town centre and the event of the Jumble Sale is meant to assist in raising funds for them.

It seems that I still have a very graphic approach to taking photographs, perhaps I haven’t yet adjusted myself to thinking in documentary terms. I shall now focus on narrowing my ideas and concentrating on more specific concepts. I am very grateful for this feedback, this is perhaps what I needed to get myself to focus a little more.



No comments:

Post a Comment